Wednesday, September 2, 2015

2016 Crazy Quilt Calendar just released

It is still so hot but it is already September, only four months for the New Year!
Pamela Kellogg's 2016 Calendar just released, I'm looking forward to get my own copy to review it.
By the way, I'm so excited for being "May page" of that lovely project. I did a special block according to project format. My  friends, followers know it well that I keep some items for the special  projects, I used lots of them to create my "May block".Pam sent me a lovely blue bird photo, I printed and decided to create a block  mostly with blue+pink colors. 
I just used a dark blue color lace trim and golden color ric-rac and a beaded lace, I did all other seam treatments myself. 
There were some dark blue+blue+white combo little oya flowers, I put them on to pink patch, my little bird now looking them:)) The fabric of that mentioned patch specially hand dyed from our southern part. I love to use those fabrics for the quilts that I make according to paper piecing method,  their performance is great, no comparison with the standard cotton fabrics.

As I mostly do, I used a Chevron stitch as a base, kept stitching, added lots of beads, with some contrast colors. I especially made some long patches to create long seam treatments.
 I added some other stiff type oya flowers on the dark blue patch, they really popped up. I did spider rose flowers with variegated silk ribbon. It is our locally produced silk ribbon. I really like their natural color scheme. I also used same type of ribbons to create leaves and other SRE works, as well.
As I told before, I used many special items. My vintage Czech  buttons the most important ones. Their story is interesting for me. I was going to Ankara frequently during my daughter's college years. One day, I went to an old store that was selling elegant accessories in my youth, as being a naval family, we located in different places, one of them was Ankara, our capitol city. My mother's choice was always haute couture and she was getting real special things from that shop for her tailor made dresses. After all those years that little shop's goodies were still so exclusive. I selected lovely trims and I noticed a small button but it was on their little showcase. He told me if I've interested in with buttons he could bring me some boxes from storage. I waited a few minutes, he came back with two boxes which were full of Czech buttons. He said, these are only samples, most of them discontinued products, I bought them long time ago, nobody interested in with them, just select as you wish just pay a symbolic money. You can imagine what I felt that moment, I bought lots of wonderful buttons. But, I still blame myself, why I didn't buy those two boxes with all those buttons!!! In those days I was a Newbie, I didn't know the value of  them.

I tried to catch color harmony as much as I can, colors of my block are so soft, I tried to take photos in day light however, I believe that they don't justice real colors but I'm happy with outcome, I  really enjoyed so much to create something for the coming year. 
It is a great honor to take part in that project among all those well talented&experienced Ladies:))
So, I tried my best to create a special block using special items from my stash. I hope you like my "May page" and entire calendar. Wishing you all the best....





6 comments:

SH Sue said...

Great description. Very helpful. Thanks. And your block is absolutely stunning!

SH Sue said...

Thank you for describing the process you used. Very helpful for a beginner. Your block is stunning.

Rengin Yazitas said...

Sue, I'm so glad my descriptions helps,
Happy stitching...

traderslostart said...

Rengin, you never disappoint me.
This block is extraordinary.
I am so pleased for you, that your work is in the calendar,
even though I am not able to purchase the calendar.
Bear Hugs,
Sondra

Rengin Yazitas said...

Sondra, thanks so much for your lovely words, you always encourage me to create something new...
Follow me, I've already started to create totally new things, I'll share them soon.
Hugs back

traderslostart said...

I love your grandsons . . .
they are both so handsome.